Our conservation project is located in the Amazon Rainforest on the outskirts of Manu National Reserve outside of Cusco. Volunteers will be involved in various types of work such as reforestation, animal observation and animal care. Volunteers normally work for 4 hours a day and the rest of the day they have free to explore the amazing area.
Volunteers that choose to do reforestation will be planting trees, bushes and different endangered plant species as well as removing non-native and invasive species of bamboo. Work supplies are provided for volunteers.
Volunteers that choose to do wildlife observation will be observing and counting various species of birds and primates and will have to perform this work very early in the morning or very late in the afternoon alongside a professional.
Please note that the reforestation and observation workload is often limited when it rains. As a result, you may be working inside the lodge doing craftwork or working with the local school. Teaching English in the native community is another option for volunteers who are interested in working within the indigenous community.
Room and Board
Meals and accommodations are included. Volunteers will stay in the lodge where they will live with other volunteers. Volunteers can expect to share a room with one or two other volunteers. Three meals per day are included while staying in the lodge. However, we need to stress that supplies are limited and you should not expect to eat as you normally do at home. We will do our best to see that you are well taken care of, but also as a volunteer, there is a need to be flexible. Mosquito nets will be provided for all PVT volunteers for their stay in the jungle.
First day! Your Introduction:
On the first day of your program (normally Sunday) your orientation will begin at around 8:00 am and will be conducted by our staff. It will cover everything you need to know for your volunteer placement in the jungle including an introduction to Peru, Peruvian customs, language training information (Spanish), rules and expectations, safety, travel opportunities in Peru, and an introduction to your project and placement. The orientation will also give you a chance to meet other volunteers and swap contact details for weekend travel and socializing. Once our orientation is complete, volunteers will be transported to their home stay where they will stay until early Monday morning when they will travel to the jungle.
Although volunteers will not be able to take Spanish lessons during their time in the jungle, we will happily arrange classes for before and after their project in the jungle. Please note additional fees may be applied for housing and/or classes.
Classes are available for all volunteers regardless of their ability. PV Travel strongly recommends these for all volunteers unless they are extremely fluent. If a volunteer's Spanish is none to basic and they are staying for a period of longer than two weeks then volunteers should strongly consider these courses as they will allow them to work and communicate with all parties more efficiently during their stay. These language courses are organized on your arrival in Peru at the program orientation. The language course is tailored to each volunteer's current level of Spanish. The cost is very affordable and offered exclusively to PV Travel volunteers.
A Day in the Jungle
While our programs are flexible and can be fit to your requirements, an example of a typical day is as follows:
7:30 AM Breakfast at the lodge.
8:00 AM to 12:00 PM, or 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM Volunteer leaves the lodge and walks to the project with other volunteers and the coordinator. The coorinator will delegate your duties each day. Volunteers will usually work for 4 hours either in the morning or the afternoon. After volunteering you are free to explore the jungle and enjoy your freetime.
12:00 PM to 2:00 PM Lunch at the lodge.
7:30 PM Dinner at the lodge.
During the weekend, volunteers have spare time and usually just relax or take the opportunity to explore other parts of the jungle.
Requirements and Application Process
The minimum age for volunteers is 18 years old unless traveling with family members over 18 or their school. No previous volunteer experience or other qualifications are necessary as all skills are useful in our projects. We do require volunteers to be aware that they will encounter cultural differences in Peru, which they must be prepared to respect. Our volunteers must be willing to engage in their project and be open-minded towards the dissimilarities they may encounter.
- Once we receive your application, we will review it and notify you within a few days of your acceptance status.
- If you are accepted you will need to pay your deposit within one week to reserve your place.
- Upon receipt of your $250 deposit you will be sent our in-depth pre-departure brochure full of indispensible tips regarding preparation and packing, your destination and its customs, your accommodations, travel requirements and suggestions, and much more.
- After reserving your place please book your flight and send us your flight information so we can schedule your airport pick-up. Also, visit your doctor for any vaccinations you may require and do not hesitate to ask us any questions that you may have.
- The remaining total is due 30 days before the start of your program.
- Join us helping and traveling in Peru!
• Volunteer placement in your preferred project
• Volunteer project management and administration for your selected program length
• Accommodations - Sundays through Saturdays at a jungle lodge
• 3 meals per day
• Airport pick-up
• Volunteer certificate
• Transport to volunteer project the first day
• 24/7 support from our staff in Peru
• Spanish classes at a discount that can be arranged before you go to the jungle (placement based on your level)
• Volunteer discounts on tours throughout Peru
*Placement in the Jungle Conservation program requires a minimal extra fee to cover the administration costs of transportation, specific supplies, and on-site supervision.
**Your fee also contributes to the purchase of needed supplies for improvements at your project.
To get started click Apply Now!